Friday 11 July 2008

Turisas - The Varangian Way

When first hearing of Turisas in an old copy of Metal Hammer I immediately scorned them for trying trying to bring such instruments as the accordion into a metal band, This tallied up with there strange viking appearance threw me right off.
But when hearing their cover of "Rasputin" on a compilation CD recently it got me intrigued, They sounded so full and new I just had to give the album a listen.

"The Varangian Way" is Turisas' 2nd album to date and If I do say myself a breath of fresh air for the metal scene. Violins and guitars working in harmony to create something I have come to call folk metal.

The album opens with the symphonic "To Holmgard & Beyond" which incorporates everything from the accordion to what sounds like half an orchestra. Very few songs that try to make you feel or visualize something ever work but To Holmgard & Beyond really does make you think your standing on a hill in some far flung European country with your fellow vikings preparing for war, It sends a proud shiver down your spine. The next track opens with the accordion and I instantly thought " This is to much bring back the metal" but I didn't have to wait long as little before 20 seconds later the guitars pound in only aided by the perfectly placed double bass pedals.

Unfortunately "Rasputin" is on the deluxe edition of "The Varangian Way" but nonetheless this album can only be described as a front runner on new European heavy metal, Folk metal has been tried before by the likes of Skyclad but Turisas have opened it up to a whole group of people.

Turisas - To holmgard And beyond.mp3
Buy The Varangian Way

8/10

No comments: