Friday 12 December 2008

The 10 0f 2008 Part.1

Right, This is it. My top ten of 2008 Part 1. It hasn't been easy but its been done and you are about to view half of the final result, Be gentle.

10. Metronomy - Nights Out
 This album was a weird entry for me, It caught me by surprise as I had only previously listened to one or two Metronomy songs before. I downloaded this and was blown away by the avant garde electronic sound produced by just three men. The albums brilliantly epic intro and outro mixed with such classics as Radio Ladio and Heartbreaker make this one of the best electronic albums of 2008.

9. DaLe Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip - Angles
 I wasn't really into hip hop before I fell in love with these guys. There clever and witty essex tinged rap is simply brilliant. I went to see them live when I had only heard 2 or 3 songs but there live show was amazing, I was counting down the time until the album. It is one of the best debuts I have heard in a while and defiantly one of the most controversial. Highlights are Fixed, Waiting for the beat to kick in and Thou shalt always kill.

8.Rolo Tomassi - Hysterics
 Rolo Tomassi crept on to the scene with a few Ep's that gained recognition from a range of magazines from NME to Metal Hammer, Clearly these guys were ones to watch. Described as not indie enough for indie kids and not metal enough for metal kids they filled a gap that needed to be bridged. Debut album Hysterics filled it perfectly with energy filled songs like Abraxas and Scabs that are filled with 8 bit synth sounds, hardcore guitar rhythms and a women's guttural demonic screams no one was sure what to make of them, All i made of them was that Hysterics was a damn good album.

7. Bloc Party - Intimacy 
  Being one of the few people who really adored Bloc Party's second album I was in high hopes for Intimacy. It was released very abruptly by Bloc Party and you were able to but it on download way before it was released, I couldn't wait and grabbed it as soon as I could. I knew I was in for something special when the first song "Ares" kicked in and Kele's voice sent shivers up my spine. This album has such a unique sound that i found it very hard to place I wasn't sure wether to place it first or last. Tracks that get me going are Talons, Trojan Horse & Mercury.

6. You Slut! - Critical Meat
 After a friend showed me thestrangely titled song "Mybloodyjesusexploreronfire" by this brilliantly named group I knew I was on to something special. I heard they had released an album a few months before and did my very best to purchase it.As they were unknown it was harder than expected but I managed and wow what an album. Entirely instrumental Critical Meat is way ahead of the game with plenty in the songs to justify not having lyrics. The whole album flows into one brilliantly crafted masterpiece with riff after relentless riff pounding into you. Highlights are On the count of 13 & Mybloodyjesusexploreronfire. I await more from this band.

Well thats it, Now all thats left is my top 5 of 2008. I am eager to get writing on them but I will take a break and think long and hard about my choices.

1 comment:

CSouthwell said...

i loved the metronomy album.

they are especially great live.